International Student

1-1. International Student Admissions

GST is authorized under Federal Law to enroll non-Immigrant alien students.

All international students who apply for the I-20 must have proof of financial stability in order to enroll at GST. International students can apply through the Admissions Office for all necessary paperwork or on-line at the school’s web site: www.gstla.com


In order to study at GST a foreign student must first obtain a student visa from their local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. In order to obtain a student visa, the student must first register at GST and provide the school with a completed I-20 Application Form, $150 of non-refundable Application Fee, and proof of financial support. Upon receiving the required documents, GST will issue you a completed I-20 with an Acceptance Letter. You must then take the I-20 and SEVIS I-901 fee receipt to your local embassy or consulate with your supporting financial documents.


Before a U.S. Consul or Embassy will grant you a student visa, you must prove that you will have sufficient funds to meet all your expenses while studying the U.S. Unless you show written evidence of having financial support for the entire time needed to complete your program, you will not be granted a student visa.

As of October 7, 2008 U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and SEVIS have changed the policy for F-1 Visas, requiring a fee of $200 (SEVIS Form I-901 fee). You can pay at https://www.fmjfee.com/index.jhtml. This payment will have to be made before you attend your interview with the U.S. Consulate. For more information on student visas, please visit the U.S. Department of State website: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html


Please feel free to contact our admissions office for further questions.


Maintaining Status of International Students

1-2. In order to maintain your F-1 visa status, Students must:
▪Attend the school and degree program indicated on your I-20.
▪Request a new form if there is any change in the Student’s degree level or major.
▪Carry a full course of study (9 credit hours for Doctoral students and 12 credit hours for Master level students)
▪Keep personal I-20 form valid at all times. Check the expiration date in item #5 to make sure that it is always valid. Request a new form if any major changes occur in your situation (e.g., changes in source of funding, marital status, major, degree program).

Follow the required procedures (with the help of the Designated School Official/International Advisor) when
Applying for extension of stay
Transferring to or from another school
Applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Withdrawing from the school
Refrain from off-campus employment without U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) or school authorization. Off-campus work permission is approved ONLY by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in case of an extraordinary circumstance. It is illegal to work without authorization and Students are subject to deportation. Keep your passport valid at all times.